Advertisement

Shamanism in Houston, TX

topic posted Mon, March 26, 2012 - 11:15 PM by  Brandon
Share/Save/Bookmark
I realize that my hometown is probably not a center for alternative ideas, but I would like to get a group of like-minded people together to discuss/learn about shamanism and how to adapt traditional teachings to our modern lives. Understanding that many of the plants/medicines are, at least, legally questionable, I see this as more of a chance to build a small community and to discuss rituals, philosophies, and everything EXCEPT how to make/ where to get/ dosage issues. In other words, everything legal is open for discussion. If anyone is interested shoot me a message. I would also be very appreciative of any experiences anyone else has had along these lines. Thanks.
posted by:
Brandon
Houston
Advertisement
  • I think it would be better to focus on communion with the spirits rather than focusing on the use of plant/fungal compounds.
    if the spirits guide you towards the use of a particular type of ritual, so be it, but I am noticing a particular focus on substances in here lately.
    I realise that I myself brought up that subject but I need to be clear that I only arrived at that point because of what the spirits were showing me.
    spirits comes first, that is what shamanism is about, right?

one of the most important things I feel I have been told concerning communion with spirits, is that substances, when used inappropriately or prematurely, can severely hinder spiritual progress. it is beneficial to work on meditation and spiritual awareness before approaching any ritual or substances.
    • I appreciate your input, however, the reason I'm seeking to establish/join a group in Houston is precisely because I feel the call to seek help from plant teachers. I agree that there often seems to be too much focus on substances as a quick fix, but with the right spiritual preparation they can be invaluable. As they have already been for me.
      • Unsu...

I find it ever so much more informative and enlightening to listen to what any plant teachers have to say to you, than to eat or smoke the plant teachers.
        The plants really do wish we would listen. The devas and nature spirits are always able to teach us, but they tire of us not listening.

Go sit with them sometime. Ask to learn. Be patient. They'll know when you are ready (if ever).

Stuffing them down your throat, by whatever means you choose, just isn't very polite.
  • Myself and about 4 other people are looking for a shaman guide to oversee and guide us on an Ayahuasca ceremony for the next new moon. If you know anyone, please let me know.
    barbara

Recent topics in "Shamanism"