Advertisement

sweat lodge rocks

topic posted Tue, February 8, 2005 - 7:41 AM by  hyperion
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hey, what are the best sweat lodge rocks? The native rocks around here are limestone, and I think those break apart when heated. Granite is relatively easy to come by, but I think those have the same problem, and if I'm not mistaken it seems I've heard certain rocks can even explode. ??
........Hyperion
posted by:
hyperion
Texas
Advertisement
  • Re: sweat lodge rocks

Tue, February 8, 2005 - 7:45 AM
    Lava rocks are always nice.....

Tue, February 8, 2005 - 7:25 PM
      I am blessed to live in Central Oregon where Lava rocks are every where. We just walk out from the lodge and pick the ones that call to us. I have heard that river rocks can explode so please be careful. Mitakuye Oyasin, Windspirit

Tue, February 8, 2005 - 10:01 AM
    ONLY USE IGNIOUS ROCKS!!!

Other types can't hold the heat. They will probably crack, possibly even explode. We travel a long way (up to Mount Shasta) to get the rock we use.

---

Since you are asking basic sweat questions, I have to say this: I don't recommend running a sweat unless you know what you are doing. It can be dangerous. If you want to learn, hook up with someone already doing it. It's not the kind of thing you learn by trial and error, because error can seriously injure or even kill. I had a good friend die in a sweat lodge -- and he was an experienced sweat leader, but he decided to go in alone one day...

Shamanic techniques are powerful because they take you to the edge, and then over. But if you aren't familiar with the edge and know what to do there, you may not come back. This is not a toy. It's real.

Tue, February 8, 2005 - 12:24 PM
      the best rocks i know of in the cental areas are in mo at elephant rock state park. its alittle way to travel but besides the rocks the area is awesome and there is also a park called silver mine where you aree allowed to gather the minerals from the park.south of st louis so it could be a big fun adventure vacation. we are going that way in april/may and i hope to hit the park for sauna rocks. ?for shams hows bout sauna ing solo? since its a nordic sweat?

Tue, February 8, 2005 - 3:25 PM
        during our sweats, we used to pick out the rocks in the streams in md near the site on that very day. the leader would send us out and ask us to look for rocks. he showed us the size and then would state a number. I've picked out rocks for about 4 sweatlodges and we'd return the rocks that we used back to the same area.

Tue, February 8, 2005 - 7:30 PM
      Very well said Shams. Where r u... Many of my family live in the Mount Shasta area..Ft Jones..Im up here in Central Oregon. Mt Shasta is one of the most beautiful and Spiritual Places I have been. If I was going to live any place else besides Oregon..thats where Id go...Mitakuye Oyasin, Unole Adanvdo (Windspirit)
      • Unsu...

Re: sweat lodge rocks

Wed, February 9, 2005 - 1:33 PM
        Thanks Shams,
        People can and do die within sweat lodges. Inexperieced sweat lodging is dangerous. Inipi (Lakota Sweat Lodge) is the primary ceremony in my Life. I recommend having a distinction between the authentic Native American sweat ceremony and the appropriated and inexperienced version as they are entirely different.

Wed, February 9, 2005 - 5:21 PM
          Thanks to all!
          It makes sense that volcanic rocks would probably be best.
          I don't intend to lead sweats myself, just thinking about providing a place for it to happen. (Although I wouldn't want anyone dying here!) I've lead sweats in the past, & helped a native medicine man construct a lodge, which was a whole ceremony in itself. Just couldn't remember the details about the stones. Haven't really done a sweat since participating in one led by a traditional Blackfoot medicine woman. I was so blown away by that, that any subsequent approximation seemed irrelivant. As I understand it though, sweats have been used around the world, not just by Native Americans.
          .....H

Wed, February 16, 2005 - 6:31 PM
            Dear ones,

I appreciate the words regarding sweat lodges. I have experienced a few very mellow and rejuvinating sweat lodge ceremonies over the years. Last month I received the intense blessing of experiencing a very indepth and life changing Temascal Mayan sweat lodge ceremony.

I walked the edge, flew far from, and managed to come back. Had it not been for the ackomplished, knowledgeable, and skilled medicine holders present, I may still be wondering who and where I am.

Blessings and prayers of healing to all. Lava rocks are the best. May you continuously burn and transform the unneccary elements of your life.
            Love and light, Mimi

Recent topics in "Shamanism"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Younger Women Looking for Older Men Unsubscribed 0 November 18, 2014
owls jo 2 November 9, 2014
Book References for Plant Spirit Shamanism / Healing offlineK 1 October 23, 2014
"Dream Yoga and the Practice of Natural Light" offlineK 1 September 12, 2014